Sunday, February 3, 2013

super bowl snacks

Two posts in two days! What is the world coming to! Actually, it's just that it's snowing here and I've been contemplating the timing on when I need to get cooking for what I'm taking to my friends' super bowl party. It'll be another short one, anyway.

I definitely volunteered to make potato skins because I know I've gotten that down in the last few months. Potatoes are my major source of calories which kinda sucks because of the carbs, but I've gotten over it. Either way, I make the baked potato soup recipe a bit, particularly here in the winter, which leaves me with potato skin carcasses. Since I hate throwing food away, my mom (as always) reminded me that I can make potato skins with them. Easy enough too!

The key is leaving enough potato in them to make them a little more substantial--I sometimes eat these for dinner, if I've got enough laying around and want to just toss something in the toaster oven. I always have cheese around, and occasionally bacon bits or sour cream or even green onions. Another trick--spray the potato with canola oil in addition to the aluminum foil. It helps them crisp up. Simple enough, right? So I spray them, spray the aluminum foil, then load them up with as much cheese as I'm in the mood for (and that's usually a lot!). Since I use fake bacon bits, I usually add them after I cook them. Same for anything else I've added, but that's up to your discretion and what you add to your own potatoes. I use my toasted oven--400 for about ten minutes, check to see how crispy they are and if the cheese has melted and go from there.

So the two tricks: leave enough potato in them to actually eat and spray them with canola oil.

Now, as for wings...I have no comment on how to cook those. ;)

And I can definitely say I have no real opinion on who wins the game, but I am SO looking forward to seeing the baby Clydesdale horse. at least I'm not working these year, unlike almost every year I can remember! (and I say that knowing that I'm on call and that could definitely change!)

No comments:

Post a Comment