Saturday, February 2, 2013

steamed/roasted vegetables

hello all! sorry i've been delinquent yet again, but i've been busy delivering babies! I think that's a good enough excuse.

as such, i haven't been cooking a lot. i have happily found a new brand of kid's frozen meals which don't have yeast in them! it's a huge breakthrough for me because basically i have to cook dinner for myself every night. the closest i've come to a pre-prepared meal is mac&cheese bowls, where i just have to add water and microwave. or tomato soup bowls. that gets tiring after awhile. so rock on, yet again, Mom, because she has the patience to notice new things in the frozen foods section--where I don't even venture--and send them my way.

but i've been doing something much better recently--I've been heading to the grocery store weekly. with the snow we've been getting, the longer way home is a safer route to take and Kroger is on the way. As such, i've been ducking in and getting fresh vegetables to gnaw on.

A very handy way to cook vegetables--steaming them or roasting them. I just ate steamed broccoli for dinner with some mashed potatoes (thrilling and exciting, I know). easy enough--raw broccoli in a bowl, put some water in it, cover with a plate, microwaved for 2:30. put a little cheese on top, and voila! a great source of nutrients and very easy. I'm sure carrots with some brown sugar could also work.

what else i also do is toss some vegetables in some oil, a little salt/pepper/seasoning, throw it in the toaster over for 20 minutes at 400 (longer as needed) and it works wonders. Often I'm too tired/frustrated to make a real dinner so i slice a potato and do this. Broccoli also works well. The seasoning options are excellent too--someone at work was talking about some paprika on potatoes, in addition to a "seasoning"...you know how you can go to the store and just get "Emeril's seasoning" or whatever. And of course, chicken or steak seasoning would also potentially work. I also do this with squash, but with not as much seasoning.

Basically, an easy and healthy way to cook your vegetables--which I'm sure many of us could use in our diets!

No comments:

Post a Comment