Wednesday, September 5, 2012

rediscovering

So I don't know how other people grocery shop, but I can tell you I used to be a no-list-keep-it-all-in-my-head kind of shopper. Go in, grab the essential bread, milk, and ground beef/chicken for that week's one cooked meal that would last me out the whole week (right, my fine cooking-for-one friends? make a family sized meal and eat it at least three days in a row...). Now I'm more of a list shopper because I'm usually trying new recipes or I realized that I'm out of [fill in the blank].

The one thing that is cool about the food allergies? Even with the list, I usually end up going up and down every aisle seeking that elusive allergen-free whatever. A few weeks ago, I found myself going down the cracker/cookie aisle and I saw Nilla Wafers right at eye level. Considering I haven't read their food label recently, I did. And voila! Something I can eat! Immediately into the cart. My next trip I found Nutter Butters...and rather joyously, in a resealable snack pack! and on clearance!

I guess what I'm saying is that in recent months, as I've gotten more comfortable with my food allergies, I've branched out. I still eat a lot of potatoes and corn, but there's a little more variety. I'm less discouraged by thinking that oh, this'll definitely have something in it i'm allergic to. I'm thrilled that many Pillsbury products use baking soda as leavening instead of yeast. I'm not gluten-sensitive/celiac disease, but I'm charmed by the increasing incidence of gluten-free products on the shelves. It gives me hope. And in the meantime, I've rediscovered some of the joys of foods I've forgotten even really existed.

Maybe we should all try it...give up your list and just leisurely go down every aisle of your grocery and rediscover something.

In other news.....we are entering the fall season, also known as the season of spice. Pumpkin spice latte, anyone? We'll see how I do without cinnamon as the months progress...

No comments:

Post a Comment