Saturday, September 15, 2012

danishes

I've been superbusy recently and have been eating only potatoes. seriously. I was so proud the other day because i picked up pineapple on the breakfast bar at work, but i also got hashbrowns. didn't even think about what i'd been eating for dinner all week.

but so it's finally saturday and i have time to cook! also, my landlord just came and fixed my non-draining kitchen sink so I can cook again. also, i need to get rid of the mold smell that has permeated my apartment over the last few days. besides having the windows open, running the dishwasher after cooking, the cooking itself should hopefully waft my apartment with delicious peach smells. why is that, you say? peach danishes!

the recipe calls for apricot, but i have peach preserves in my fridge. i was looking through a recently acquired bisquick magazine cookbook and found a few delicious breakfast recipes. I love breakfast. and i love danishes too, but i had always reserved them for continental breakfast type affairs. never made them before. but i really need to do something with those peach preserve and hey, i have all the ingredients here so no trip to the grocery store required!

Easy Drop Danish

2c Bisquick original baking mix
1/4 c margarine or butter, softened
2 T sugar
2/3 c milk
1/4 c apricot preserves
Glaze (see below)

1. Heat oven to 450. Lightly grease cookie sheet. Stir baking mix, margarine, and sugar in medium bowl until crumbly. Stir in milk until dough forms; beat 15 strokes.
2. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto cookie sheet. Make a shallow well in center of each with back of spoon; fill with 1 teaspoon of the preserves.
3. Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. While warm, drizzle with glaze.

Glaze
2/3 c powdered sugar
1 T warm water
1/4 t vanilla

Beat all ingredients with spoon until smooth.

The best part? The recipe comments say easily halved, which is what I did. I don't need a dozen danishes for a first-round recipe that I don't know if i'm going to want to share. I ended up having to add a little more bisquick to get an actual dough to form. Also, it comments that you can feel free to use your favorite flavor of preserves, which i clearly did. Didn't even need prompting.

My hints right now is that shallow wells are key, I had some preserves coming onto my spatula while i was taking the danishes off the cookie tray. others (maybe the more shallow ones, in an ironic twist?) overflowed over the danish onto the cookie tray. so if you're one of the people who try to avoid sugar burning on your nice cookie trays, don't use that nice tray with this recipe.

(as a side note, do other people do that? my mama taught me all about sugar burning onto cookie trays, so i have a few--one i use to do some serious potato roasted, so it's always slightly glazed with oil. another that i use if i know sugar is going to burn onto it; it's a cheap one i picked up at walmart. and then i have nice cookie trays that i use for nice things that aren't going to burn onto it. and NONE of these go in the dishwasher. i have a lot of pans.)

not a significantly strong smell emanating through my apartment, but some nice treats to reward myself on a beautiful saturday afternoon!

as another side note, they're not fabulous danishes. but in my spectrum of being-able-to-eat-things and knowing that danishes i buy in the store most likely have rice flour, eggs, and/or yeast in them, i'll take them. they're still pretty nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment