Tuesday, March 19, 2013

peanut butter bars

One of the things I miss the most is a granola bar. You all know the ease at which you can just grab one and eat it on the go. They all have oats or rice in them, so I haven't found a good replacement. My mom was reading her shredded wheat box one day and called me to try the recipe on there. Now I did not have any shredded wheat in my apartment so I got online and found their recipe on the Post website.

the formatting is theirs and I know it drives me batty but not enough to retype it. Regardless, the recipe works halved, and I use craisins instead of raisins (grapes!). I was contemplating putting chocolate chips in them too to add a bit of sweet to it, though the craisins and honey/PB combo makes them pretty sweet. Also, mine fell apart (I halved it so I don't think it bound together very well) but I still enjoyed eating the remnants.

But a quick, easy, and healthy treat!

Peanut Butter Bars


Ingredients
·         1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
·         1/2 cup honey
·         1/2 cup reduced fat peanut butter
·         3 cups Post Original Shredded Wheat Spoon Size Cereal, coarsely crushed
·         3/4 cup raisins
Directions
1.      Mix sugar, honey and peanut butter in large microwavable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until bubbly at edge; stir until well blended.
2.    Stir in cereal and raisins. Press firmly into 8-inch square pan sprayed with cooking spray. Cool.
3.     Cut into bars. Store in airtight container. Makes 16 servings, 1 bar each.
Tips and Suggestions
Use Your Stove: Mix sugar, honey and peanut butter in large saucepan; cook on medium heat until smooth and bubbly, stirring occasionally. Continue as directed.
Take Along Tip: After completely cooled, wrap bars individually in plastic wrap. Leave in bowl on kitchen counter for a great grab-and-go snack.
Nutrition Bonus: On the run? Then enjoy one of these Grab 'n Go Peanut Butter Bars as part of your healthful eating plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment