Wednesday, January 16, 2013

numbers...don't mean anything?

CNN is abounding today with interesting articles about food and weight. I will not link you to the shocking calorie counts in some entrees because I think we're all sensible enough to realize what food is healthy for us and that some foods are more indulgent than others (which is what the restaurants points out and is incredibly valid--when I go out to eat, it's probably not going to be a calorie-skimpy meal).

I did however see this article (http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/16/health/weight-study/index.html?hpt=hp_bn12) about how people with a BMI in the 'overweight' range, which is 25-30, are 'actually' pretty healthy people. Which is great, in my opinion, because that's where a lot of people truly are. Now, I know plenty of people in the obese range who definitely do need to get healthy, so there is a line where weight does matter and the numbers do matter, but I think it's an interesting perspective. It goes along with what I've said in previous posts: being healthy and fit matters more than the numbers.

Also, I nearly LOL'd the other day when my preceptor called me small. It was apparently in reference to a question someone asked about my glove size, but as a woman who is well over average height and around average weight, "small" is not a descriptor applied to me that frequently.

It's all about perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment