Tuesday, April 29, 2014

trading suitcases

Acclimating back to the States is a very different thing that I thought.

The insomnia is crazy--no problems almost the entire time I was in Jamaica, but back in the US and the dark circles are back. My mom pointed that out this morning. :( the one thing is funny about this--I had very vivid dreams in Jamaica and they have definitely continued! But this all probably a result of getting about four hours of sleep after I got home very early Sunday morning, and just not being able to 'catch up.'

The carpet feels SO odd under my feet too! And every so often I catch sight of how tan I am in contrast to my shirt sleeves, which makes me laugh. Also, trading in tank tops and swimsuits for sweaters and my rain coat...not so fair. :) I am so cold here, trying to avoid wearing my turtlenecks to be so obviously cold and instead reaching for the lightweight sweaters.

Regardless of all that, I'm really trading up from my rotation-vacation to real vacation. I am packed and ready to take off for London! I'm very happy looking at the forecast though, since it will rain the first day I'm there but looks rather clear for the remaining few days. My trusty umbrella is still prominently packed a la Mary Poppins.

I'm really posting to tell everyone I will not be taking my laptop with me on this trip. I'm really consolidating and basically backpacking it, so I chose to take an extra sweater instead of my laptop. I'm anticipating having good access to WiFi through my iPhone, which I can carry more confidently in England than Jamaica. Plus I don't have to sign any contracts or find an apartment while I'm in Great Britain, so I'm really taking this vacation concept seriously and taking a break from some technology.

As such, pictures will be limited until I come home and upload them all in one burst. You also won't have to deal with the giddy ramblings of a history nerd unleashed on some of the world's greatest historical sites...

In the meantime, try some festivals! They're delicious and very Jamaican. If you can find some Red Stripe and curry goat to drink and eat with them, all the better. I think they taste like funnel cake, but these are more log-like than the thin strips of dough that make up funnel cake.

1 ½ c flour
3 T cornmeal
1 c water
½ t salt
3 T sugar
1 t baking powder
1 t vanilla

Sieve the flour into a bowl and stir in the cornmeal, salt, sugar, and baking powder. Add the vanilla to the water. Add a small amount of water into the mixture, work the water in with your fingertips. Keep adding small amounts of water to the mixture—when half the cup has been added, it should resemble breadcrumbs. Keep adding water until it becomes a firm dough which is only slightly sticky—you should not need the whole cup. If it becomes too sticky, add more flour.
Cover and leave to stand for half an hour.
Divide into eight portions. Knead each portion and roll it into a small sausage shape.
Cover each festival in a mixture of flour and cornmeal.
Deep fry until golden brown.

(Serve with any Jamaican dish. Festival goes very well with jerk dishes and spicy fish recipes where the sweet festivals provide a delicious complimentary taste.)

No comments:

Post a Comment