Sunday, March 2, 2014

Trip preparations

I think international travel is testing even my OCD organizational skills.

There's Jamaica (via Projects Abroad, or PA if I abbreviate it) from March 16-April 26th. That's six weeks in a medical clinic, finishing up my fourth year electives and actually, the end of my fourth year curriculum and as such--medical school overall! When I come back from Jamaica, I'll be done with school!

I'll be in the US for three days before jetting off to the UK on the evening of April 30th--arriving in London on the morning of May 1. I'll be returning from London on May 15 after touring London and Scotland.

So in total, it's two months. Six weeks in Jamaica and two weeks in the UK, or March 16-May 15. Leaving the country for two months is a bit challenging.

There's little things like packing. It's not too bad on the clothes front because the very disparate climates. I can theoretically pack my suitcase for the UK before I depart for Jamaica, because there will be very little overlap (plus I probably have enough clothes regardless). There are a few necessities that will switch suitcases, but that's small things.

There's things that you have to think about--the electrical converters, for one. I don't need it for Jamaica, but I do for the UK. How extensive of a first aid kit/medicines do I need to take. It's obviously more comprehensive for being gone for six weeks--my mom even came up with some ankle braces for Jamaica "because I know you," she told me. I probably am more likely to need them in London, for the walking, but who knows.

Or the money--I'll convert US dollars to Jamaican dollars in Jamaica, because our dollar is stronger than theirs, it'll be a favorable rate. Versus the pound is stronger than the dollar, it'll likely be more favorable to switch that currency here. Plus I don't want to waste precious time in London to wait to convert my money over. There's also the little fact to find out if your credit card company charges international fees; mine doesn't, but that took a few minutes of research to find out and an email to track down the real information. I also went into my bank to find out that there's the usual ATM fees if I use one internationally, plus a change of currency fee at the ATM. I can only imagine how high that one is.

Cell phone use is another--we tend to think of everything as "free," with our limitless plans. I remember the days of having limits, and this is vaguely reminiscent. There's a fee per minute of telephone use ($1.99!), text sent or received ($0.50 per!) and also data usage (per KB). So needless, I'll have it for emergencies but not use it--so don't text or call me!

As such, it was a blessing to find out that my host family in Jamaica has internet! (And a washing machine! Living the high life! But really, this is awesome.) So hopefully I'll be able to stay in touch via emails and blogging.

There's also figuring out the itinerary--not so worrisome for Jamaica, because I'll be in the clinic. There'll be weekend outings, but things will be a little more free flowing. In London, there's a plan of attack to conquer the city as best I can and see as many things as I can. Same goes for the trip north to Scotland--and what can I see in Northern England on my way there? I have spent countless hours working out these things, plus operating hours, train schedules, etc to see if it's possible to do what I want. So far, so good. :)

Plus there's things here to not forget--I had to get the oil changed on my car, and we have to figure out what to do to keep the battery from dying while I'm gone for two months. My mom doesn't drive a manual, so I have to see if one of my siblings can maybe drive it around a bit.

Also, hair cuts. I need one. I want to get a pedicure before I head to the Caribbean (this makes complete sense to me!). There's also the logistics of the fact that the match is happening the first week I'm in Jamaica, so I'll find out where I'm doing my residency while I'm gone. I have to be set to find housing when I come back from the UK--I have a brief period of time before graduation (May 31) and starting residency--more information will come after I match. I had to make sure I had my taxes and financial aid stuff done--taxes are due in April while I'm gone, and financial aid stuff had to be done by May 15--the day I'll be flying back from London. Also, stuff for graduation has to be done by May 15.

See how this is taxing my organizational skills? It's getting there though. I have one week left on rotation here at home (medical examiner's office--tons of fun, not how it looks on tv!) and then I'm taking a week of vacation to get everything sorted before taking off.

Keep this bookmarked--this will be where I do my most frequent updates. I'm also a big picture taker, so hopefully plenty of pictures will get to make all of you jealous--Spring can't come fast enough for so many of us in the US!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha my favorite part of this blog is "Also, hair cuts."

    ReplyDelete