Sunday, December 9, 2012

deficiencies

I just typed in the "title" to this post and it made me giggle a little. In the way of I mean nutritional deficiencies, but that word can be completely misconstrued!

So vitamin deficiencies are usually not a problem in America. At all. there are a few common ones--B12 in vegetarians because B12 sources are usually animal based, and also vitamin D because people don't go outside. I am not being facetious with that at all, btw. Especially in northern climates, you can see pretty bad vitamin D deficiencies. I've seen some incredibly low levels in my few months of actually looking at lab values. Interestingly, people who are also (ridiculously) assiduous with sunscreen usage are ALSO vitamin D deficient. so some sunshine is good for you!

speaking of which, i finally made it outside for a bit (i'm on vacation right now!) and look so much healthier for about an hour spent walking outside in the sunshine. so it doesn't take much, really.

but so vitamin deficiencies. Our grains are reinforced with riboflavin, niacin, etc which are B vitamins. Our milk is reinforced with A&D. Plus most americans take vitamins even if they don't need them. People in other countries would love the opportunities that we have. So actually a big plus to international medicine is that you see vitamin deficiencies and things you would never see in America. One of the mission trips that our school did--you know what they took with them? Bottles and bottles of vitamins. the same bottle of 100 vitamin pills you can pick up at walmart for $3 can make huge  differences in some people's lives.

Including mine. I've had some person issues to deal with recently and haven't had time to cook and make sure my diet was as balanced as it can get. So I was eating a lot of potatoes and corn, the staples of my diet. Healthy enough, but not a balanced and nutritious diet. Don't get me wrong, potatoes and corn both have great benefits--but look at both the Irish and the Mexicans, who have a diet based in each vegetable respectively. There are striking deficiencies in each diet. Which gradually popped up in mine. I was getting this weird rash all over and then I got it on my face--ew. A facial rash is NOT FUN. Especially because nothing was helping it. And then I started getting these weird bumps on my tongue...and it came to me. This had the potential of being a vitamin B6 deficiency!

Now of course this is self-diagnosed, but still entirely possible. furthered by looking up sources of B6:
http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-vitamin-B6.php

that site is a great resource to look up ALL vitamins but what was most striking to me was that i ate nothing on that list. oops.

The interesting thing is also that I broke my foot a few weeks (2 months now) back and so that got me thinking on vitamin D and calcium. and i also noticed that my hair has changed in consistency and thickness, so there's another thing to ponder.

Either way, my point really is that most Americans don't need to take vitamins unless you have a weird diet...like me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment